Charges by the Pentagon has been dropped against a Saudi national being held at Guantanamo Bay. The man was suspected of being the "20th hijacker" in the September 11 attack on the Pentagon and Twin Trade Towers in New York, says his US military defense lawyer.
The Associated Press made sure to cast doubt on the charges leveled against the man, referring to him as the "so-called hijacker".
The AP had some other, not-so-subtle, items it dropped into the short news story.
"The Pentagon has dropped charges against a Saudi at Guantanamo who was suspected of being the so-called 20th hijacker..."
Mohammed al-Qahtani was one of six men charged by the military in February with murder and war crimes for their alleged roles in the 2001 attack. Authorities say al-Qahtani missed taking part in the attacks because he had been denied entry to the U.S. by an immigration agent.
But in reviewing the case, the convening authority for military commissions, Susan Crawford, decided to dismiss the charges against al-Qahtani and proceed with arraignment for the five others, said Army Lt. Col. Bryan Broyles, the Saudi's military attorney.
Crawford dismissed the charges Friday without prejudice, meaning they could be filed again later, Broyles said.
AP also referred to al-Qahtani having been "subjected to a harsh interrogation authorized by...Donald H. Rumsfeld."
Nowhere in the story were the nearly 3000 victims of 9/11 described. And certainly not as having been "subjected to the harsh death sentence authorized by Osama bin Laden".
The attorney said he could not comment on the reasons for the dismissal until discussing the case with attorneys for the five other defendants. Officials said earlier that al-Qahtani had been subjected to a harsh interrogation authorized by former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld.
The Associated Press: Tuesday Morning Whores of the Caliphate.
by Babba Zee
Source: Saudi has 9/11 charges dropped