--Nikki Rocco, Universal's president of domestic distribution
Weekend Box Office Leaders: June 13-15, 2008
The latest movie adaptation of Marvel Comic's The Incredible Hulk finished where the comic book character usually end up: on top.
Judged against Spider-Man, Hulk came up short. Judged against Hulk, The Incredible Hulk came up big. The franchise restart, starring Edward Norton, topped the weekend box office with $54.5 million, according to Exhibitor Relations estimates today. While that's about $8 million less than what Ang Lee's Hulk opened with in 2003, the gross is considered a victory for Universal Pictures, which had to overcome, well, Ang Lee's Hulk
The Hulk accounted for about a third of all ticket sales over the weekend.
#2 - Kung Fu Panda $34.3 million
#3 The Happening 30.5 million
#4 Don't Mess with the Zohan 16.4 million
The rest of the Top Ten:
5. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, $13.5 million
6. Sex and the City, $10.2 million
7. Iron Man, $5.1 million
8. The Strangers, $4.1 million
9. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, $3 million
10. What Happens in Vegas, $1.7 million
The total movie box office receipts for 2008 are almost equal to this same time last year.
* Incredible Hulk Smashes Past
* Today in Pop Culture